- 100% germination (YES!!! I’m sure soaking the seeds for more than 12 hours made the difference)
- Leaves are appearing!
For the past couple of years I’ve been saving cuttings from our office rubber tree (ficus elastica), rooting them, and giving them away as gifts. This year I had to dumpster dive for them (I couldn’t get to them before someone poured coffee all over the leaves, but that could easily be wiped off).
I gave away 5 cuttings in April/May and kept one for myself. I watched over one for a friend as a house warming present so I was able to compare the progress of hers and mine. Hers took off right away. It’s only been recently that mine has started to make new leaves, even though they are both in the same environment.
Don’t knock dumpster diving. You can really get lucky. Even the shabbiest plant can sometimes be saved and give you or someone else great joy.
I don’t know what it is about this plant! So far, I have not had success with keeping a thanksgiving cactus (schlumbergera) alive, although people say it’s really easy to care for and to propagate.
The one I picked up from a colleague who was leaving died this year. I only water my office plants every two weeks. It was rotting at the bottom which made me think wet roots, but that didn’t fit with how often I was watering and the fact that it was in a clay pot, which dries out the soil faster than other pots.
I bought a new plant a few weeks ago. Fresh soil, clean clay pot, watering when the soil is dry… and I’ve lost a bunch of leaves already.
This article has some really good information on care, how to produce blooms, and common issues which will definitely come in handy.
A few weeks ago I found this worm hanging from a thread on my tomato plant. I had a sneaky suspicion it was a baby tomato hornworm so I used a stick to catch him for a closer look.
I think it might actually be a cabbage worm now. It looks a lot like the worm in this article and less like the hornworms you see on the web. I mostly see large tomato hornworms online; never very early stage larvae. I guess the only way to know for sure would have been to let it get a bit bigger. Would it have been worth the sacrifice?
It’s always tricky when you plant seeds for the first time and you don’t really know what the plants look like as seedlings. It can be hard to distinguish a weed from a new plant so I often find myself pulling up things that I later regret in a frenzy to stay on top of the weeds.
I planted some butterfly milkweed I picked up at Urban Harvest and some scabiosa seeds from one of my plot neighbours. She had some really dark ones that I found very striking.
Rather than growing veggies, she grows flowers specifically for cuttings. She tells me some flowers don’t really do well as cuttings, like the calendula and cornflower I always plant. I’ve taken my sunflowers home and even bought them from the farmers market. Although they do hold up for a while, I find they get sticky with sap and harbour bugs.
My garden friend gave me some dahlias. Looking forward to seeing what they look like when they bloom.
Sadly, I think it was a root.
I was fertilizing my succulents with kelp meal when I noticed this thing on the base of the orchid my garden friend gave me. It looked like a worm and it was pointing upwards along the base — why would a root do that? Roots grow outwards.
I used a chopstick to gently poked at it and it came off. It didn’t look like it was moving (I looked for a while). I can see where it came out of the plant so I think it was a root.
And then I noticed a similar, but not quite the same, looking bunch of them following the path of one of the branches. I left them alone.
I actually tossed out a similar bunch that were just sitting on the soil. Unless they came off of the other branch really easily. Argh!
In my defense, I had to make a judgment call. You can’t give a worm any leeway or they’ll devour or suck the life out of your plant. Lesson learned.
I’m squealing with delight!!!
I soaked my desert rose seeds for about 24 hours as the video I’m following recommended and planted them in Schultz seed starting mix with perlite. It was mostly a 50-50 mix to ensure good drainage, but I may have added an extra handful of seed starting mix; when I watered the soil before I added the seeds it didn’t drain as quickly as it should have. And I still planted the seeds!
Since planting the seeds in less than adequately draining soil, I’ve been stressing over whether or not the seedlings would get root rot before I’m able to transplant them (the video mentioned doing this when the plants have 6 leaves).
Within 1 to 2 days, the seeds sprouted!!! At this point (about 3 days later) 6 out of 9 seeds have germinated, as far as I can see.